This error message usually occurs for one of two reasons:
- The GPU resources are inadequate or the GPU drivers need to be updated.
- Universe needs at least 2GB of video memory for HD projects, and 4GB of video memory for 4k/higher resolution projects; these requirements multiply by however many monitors are attached (e.g. with two monitors, 4GB is needed for HD, 8GB for 4k). If these requirements aren't met, instability can occur.
- If the video memory requirements are met by your system, check that its drivers are up-to-date.
- To update GPU drivers on Mac, update the OS X to its latest available version.
- To update GPU drivers on Windows, head to its vendor's drivers section on their webpage. If you need help with this, contact support.
- There is time remapping, scaling, or position adjustments applied to to the clip.
- Some plugins (like VHS and Holomatrix) utilize previous and next frame information to create their effect. When the previous frames have been modified through time remapping/scaling/position adjustments, it can interfere with what the effect is trying to achieve.
- Try nesting the clip the effect is getting applied to into its own Composition or Sequence with all of its time remapping/scaling/position adjustments inside the nested composition/sequence, and then applying the effect that created the error message onto that clip.