The top reasons a serial number doesn't work are as follows:
- The serial is for an older version of the product you're trying to install
If a serial for an older version of a product is used on an installer that's trying to install an upgraded version, it will not work (ex. Trapcode Suite 13 serial in a Trapcode Suite 14 installer, PluralEyes 3.5 used in a PluralEyes 4 installer)
- Serials purchased directly from redgiant.com are paired with their installers under Your Products page.
- Serials purchased elsewhere for our latest products can use the installers here.
- Serials purchased elsewhere for our older products can use our Legacy installers.
- If you're not certain which product and/or version your serial is for, see this guide.
- The four-letter prefix is missing
All of our serials are a twenty-character string prefixed with four letters. You'll want to make sure the four letter prefix is included when entering it into the installer.
- You are not an administrator
Installers will place a serial file that's accessible by all users on a system, which can only be done by an administrator.
Is is not enough to install as a non-administrative user and provide administrative credentials when prompted; a user has to be an administrator upon launching the installer.
- There are multiple installers open
Having multiple installers open can cause problems as they may interfere with each other. Close any and all installers you've got open and only have one open at a time.
- (Mac only) There are permission issues on the directory the serial is trying to get placed in
On Mac OS X systems, there can sometimes be file permission issues with where the serial file is trying to be placed.
To fix this, follow these steps:
- Close all programs (namely the installer and any programs you're trying to install into)
- Open a Finder window and select Go > Go to Folder... from the top menu bar
- Type or copy & paste this file path in: /users/shared/
- Select the Red Giant folder and click File > Get Info
- Reveal the Sharing & Permissions area toward the bottom of the window that comes up toward the bottom if it isn't already, then click the Padlock in the lower right (entering your credentials when prompted)
- Click the + button in the lower left
- Highlight all of the accounts you can, and click Select
- Give each user in the table Read & Write permissions
- Click the Gear icon > Apply to Enclosed items...
- Try installing again and your serial should be accepted.
If none of those reasons fail to resolve your problem, contact support.